Friday, January 7, 2011

Day 1 1/2

On Thursday, January 6, 2010 I caught a flight out of O'Hare International Airport in Chicago to London Heathrow.  I wasn't worried until I arrived at the airport and realized that the last time I flew was in 8th grade, and I honestly couldn't really recall the procedure for security in the airport.  After checking in and getting our bags checked, Amanda (my compadre and partner in crime) and I were both a little shocked at how soon we had to part from our parents to go through security.  I only had a minor breakdown when sitting at the gate for our flight.  Somehow my parents left with all of the copies of my flight itinerary.  This document is not completely necessary, but when going through customs there was a chance I would have had to provid proof of onward journey.  Luckily the nice airlines people printed a copy off for me and all was well again :)  The flight was approximately 8 hours, and they fed us a snack, dinner, and then breakfast just before landing.  Amanda and I were entertained for about 2 hours by watching The Social Network, and then were left to chatting and wishing we could fall asleep.  We arrived on time, and were eventually picked up by a coach bus to take us another 2 ½ hours out to Harlaxton College in Grantham, England.  Here they welcomed us like family, fed us, and let us explore the truly beautiful grounds of the manor.  So far I have thoroughly enjoyed listening to the accents, getting used to riding and even walking on the left hand side, and also my first “fish and chips.”  I will post pictures soon, but for now I am going to try to get back into a normal sleep routine.  I would say goodnight, but it is only 4:42 pm for my American family so good evening :)

No comments:

Post a Comment