Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Mind The Gap- London Day 3

Today we woke up early once again to get out on the town before we had to head back to Harlaxton.  Before leaving we found where the hotels advertised free breakfast was and enjoyed an assorment of cereal, toast, and croissants.  We even were able to sneak some cheese and apples to add to our packed lunches for the day.  While eating we watched the news (on BBC lol) and we got to see a Grantham local who was being interviewed because he has created the hottest chile peppers in the world.  It made us feel famous!  I also began wondering if it is easier to get onto tv in the UK because since there are less people there should be a much bigger chance that anything cool you do is actually recognized--food for thought.  So we left and caught the tube to Trafalgar Square.  Another interesting tidbit of info is that just 3 days before we came to this part of the city there were gang fights there!  Luckily we found it to be pretty civil and lovely early in the morning before most of the tourists were out.  The Nelson monument is in the center and this is dedicated to Horatio Nelson who defeated Napolean in a naval battle at Trafalgar off the coast of Spain (which i learned in British Studies).  We waited and toured the National Gallery which housed many famous paintings by various well known artists.  Furthermore this was especially neat because we got to see some of the artwork that we have been studying in class.  Next we rode the tube to Picadilly Circus (likened to the Times Square of London) and picked up a few cheap souvenirs.  We started to get really hungry so we decided to head back to Buckingham Palace to eat our packed lunches.  We sat up on the Victoria Monument and watched everyone come and go to take their pictures.  It was funny and I'm pretty sure some kids thought we were homeless lol.  From here we went back to St. Jame's Park to feed the birds our left over crackers.  Amanda fed them and I took pictures (I'm not a huge fan of birds up close to me!).  She let me feed the swan the last of our leftover food and I decided to keep my gloves on because I wanted to protect my hand from actually touching it.  Well bad idea because the swan snatched it right off with the food and it fell into the pond (see the video evidence above!).  It was hilarious!  Of course everyone around started laughing at me and we couldn't reach my glove because it started floating away.  A little english girl's dad used a stick and fished it out for me though!  Once again my gloves were saved from being lost!  I swear these gloves must be magic because I almost lost them in Scotland too!  During this whole ordeal we met a guy from Pittsburgh (he heard us talking with our American accents).  He was cool and told us that he was stationed there in the military.  It was nice to see someone else from America!  Now we headed off to Camden Town (yet another part of London!).  Here we looked in souvenir shops and Amanda and I both got our ears pierced.  We then headed back to the train station to wait for ours to Grantham.  At this point we were beat and just ready to make it back for Sunday Roast (mainly we just wanted the ice cream!)

No comments:

Post a Comment